Learn How to Save a Life
Tactical First Aid with the always amazing Dr. Mike Shertz is August 16. This course is designed to give you the knowledge and skill necessary to identify and manage immediately life-threatening injuries, whether they occur to you or another individual, while you are still engaged in the violent attack. These same skills will also serve you well in any other accidents or incidents you might encounter. Space is limited, so sign up early!
Check out our other cool Summer classes
This Summer we are offering both Street and Vehicle Tactics I and Street and Vehicle Tactics II. Build your confidence and awareness when in public, traveling, or in your vehicle. Then take those skills to the next level with increasingly complex scenario-based training. Get force-on-force training from master tacticians!
And if you’ve taken Intensive Handgun Skills, you know what a difference it makes in your shooting abilities. Now crank those abilities up another notch with Intensive Handgun Skills II. Learn the skills, drills, and plays that will make you a dominating competitive or defensive shooter.
Find these and other classes on our website, InSightsTraining.com. Stay safe and we’ll see you in class!
Memorial Day Remembrance
InSights Training Center salutes those in our armed forces who gave their lives in service to our country. Their strength, duty, and honor ensure the freedom and security of our great nation. And we stand with their families in proud remembrance.
Memorial Day Sale May 20-26
Repeat any class June through August and get 30% off! Because once just isn’t enough.
Call 888-958-0884 or email info(at)InSightsTraining.com to sign up. This offer does not include Tactical First Aid or Shooting Leagues and may not be combined with any other discounts. This is for repeat classes — you must have taken the class previously.
Visit InSightsTraining.com and find a class that fits your schedule. Stay safe and we’ll see you in class!
With 2015 well underway, and those flimsy New Year’s resolutions underwater, here’s an easy project. Tune up your mindset and increase your awareness. And without breaking a sweat you will increase your personal safety.
A great book to read about this is Jeff Cooper’s Principles of Personal Defense. First published in 1972, and reprinted a couple times since then, it is a self defense classic. In short, he explains seven qualities that you should cultivate:
- Alertness: Trouble can appear at any time — know what is behind you, and pay attention to anything out of place.
- Decisiveness: Decide instantly upon a proper course of action to be carried out immediately, without hesitation.
- Aggressiveness: Whether it is a counter-attack or a pre-emptive attack, give it everything you’ve got.
- Speed: Be fast, not fair — end it before the loser fully realizes he has bitten off more than he can chew.
- Coolness: If you know that you can keep your head, that you must keep your head, you probably will keep your head.
- Ruthlessness: Anyone who willfully and maliciously attacks another without sufficient cause deserves no consideration from you–don’t hold back.
- Surprise: The criminal does not expect his prey to fight back — surprise him!
Track down a copy and read it. In the meantime, here is an exercise Cooper mentions in the book to increase your awareness:
“Make it a game. Keep a chart. Every time anyone is able to approach you from behind without your knowledge, mark down an X. Every time you see anyone you know before he sees you, mark down an O. Keep the Os ahead of the Xs. A month with no Xs establishes the formation of correct habits.”
Try it for a week or a month and see how you do. Increase your awareness and you never know what you might notice.
Stay safe and we’ll see you in class.
By Alan Hines
Knife students new and old save on February’s featured classes
Save 25% if you take both Defensive Folding Knife I and Defensive Folding Knife II, February 27-March 1. Previous DFK I students save 20% on DFK II.*
DFK I teaches you how to use a Spyderco-style pocketknife as a superb standalone self defense tool and an excellent companion to firearms, pepper spray, and other defensive tools in your family’s layered personal protection plan. Most small pocketknives can be carried in any State and in most foreign countries. If you can’t have your handgun, have your knife!
Then, in DFK II, learn how to counter multiple attackers, armed opponents, and fights on the ground. This class only comes around every other year. Save 25% if you sign up for both DFK I and DFK II, 2/27-3/1. Students who have already taken DFK I can save 20% on DFK II. Register today at InSightsTraining.com.
*20-25% discount cannot be combined with any other specials or discounts. To register, call 425.827.2552 or 888.958.0884.
And get ready for Close Quarters Confrontations, March 6-8
CQC is another class that we only offer every other year. You will learn a full unarmed combat system and an integrated firearms combat system so that you can respond with the right answer quickly in a close distance situation. This action-packed 3-day class runs March 6-8. The only prerequisite is General Defensive Handgun. Learn more and register at InSightsTraining.com.
InSights Training Center + Kids = Spy Kids Class!
Well, okay, we’re not actually turning them into spies. But Kids Safety School is a cool, new 3-hour class to teach your kids safety and situational awareness. There are no guns or weapons involved, just confidence building and empowerment taught in a warm and caring environment. Through a series of games, drills, and discussions, your children will learn how to recognize potential dangers and get to safety.
Here are some skills we will cover:
- Noticing patterns and what affects patterns: part of safety awareness is spotting things that don’t fit
- Memorization: remember details, remember a safety plan, and more
- Agility: channel that boundless energy into physical skills
- Assertiveness: how to take charge of themselves when it’s time to act
And here are some drills we will cover:
- Personal Space: learn to maintain it and what to do if someone tries to take you
- How to move efficiently through crowded areas
- Designing emergency response plans with their parents: fire, natural disasters, intruder situations
- Parking Lot Safety: getting from car to building and back again
- Run/Hide/Fight: explain when and where to run, best tactics for hiding, and worst case scenario–having to fight
Learn to be safe, and have fun at the same time — this class is a must for every parent and their child. Parental participation is a must, and we guarantee the grownups will learn just as much as the kids! This 3-hour class is aimed at children aged 5 to 10. Price is $75 for parent and 1 child, $20 for each additional child (bring payment for additional children to class).
Classes are already filling up fast, so stay tuned for more dates. See the latest dates and information at InSightsTraining.com.